To reset the root password of your server, you will need to boot into single user mode.
You need to open console first.
To Open the console:
Login to customer area and go to the server details page from Services menu > My Services > Click on service name > Click on Console
Debian / Ubuntu
- Open Console
- Click send
CTRL+ALT+DELto reboot the server. Or press Restart button from the control panel while you have the console open.
- As soon as the boot process starts, press ESC to bring up the GRUB boot prompt. You may need to turn the system off from the control panel and then back on to reach the GRUB boot prompt.
- You will see a GRUB boot prompt - press E to edit the first boot option. (If you do not see the GRUB prompt, you may need to press any key to bring it up before the machine boots)
- Find the kernel line (it starts with "linux /boot/"), add
init=/bin/bashat the end of the line.
- Press CTRL+X or F10 to boot.
- The system will boot and you will see the root prompt. Type
mount -o remount,rw /and then
passwdto change the root password and then reboot again.